[NatureNS] Determining Elevation

From: "Terri Crane" <terri.crane@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:21:45 -0400

Elevations are measured above "Highest High Water", "Large Tides" and is
often refered to (atleast in the marine world) as "DATUM". Determined by the
Canadian Hydrographic ????? (last part of their name escapes me) surveyors
for that area. Our coastline is riddled with hydrographic survey pins from
witch act as the bench/starting point for subsequent measurements. A quick
glance at any Marine Chart will show the placement of these pins as a dot
within a triangle and a height given along side. In almost all communities
there is a stone (sometimes within the foundation of a large stone or brick
building) in witch a brass pin is placed and this is the so called "Bench
Mark" (on charts depicted as a dot within a circle with a discription). In
Canso our "Bench" is located in the foundation wall of the Old Post Office.

Hope this helps
All the Best
Tom K.
Hoping that this is the last blast of winter.