[NatureNS] Ruffed Grouse at feeder

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 00:53:16 -0400

	Marie Wamboldt had a Ruffed Grouse under her sunflower feeder on Sunday
morning. Her grandson, Logan, spotted it and identified it for her. She lives in Clementsvale
just east of the big Baptist Church at the intersection at the top of the hill, or directly across
from the post office which is in a house. Marie is used to seeing and feeding Pheasants, but
this was a first time a Ruffed Grouse had appeared so close. I had seen one in November in
the alder swamp just down over the hill from her house, so in a way it did not surprise me,
but they are not a common feeder bird for sure. Her regulars include lots of Mourning Doves
and Goldfinches, some Blue Jays and Black capped Chickadees and two pairs each of
Hairy and Downey Woodpeckers. Once in awhile a few Evening Grosbeaks appear briefly.
Then there are the ever present Starlings, too.  JET