[NatureNS] amended results of 2007 C. Coldwell Raptors/Eagles Count

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 19:44:05 -0400
From: "Ronald Arsenault" <rongarsenault@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_57622_9313029.1173224645123

Jim,

Nice to see these results.  Could you give us an estimate of the
geographical area (square kilometres) encompassed by the count?

Many thanks,

Ron Arsenault
Memramcook, N.B.

2007/3/6, Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>:

> [...]
> counted raptors from 10 to 11 a.m., and then most reported results to the
> Sheffield Mills Community Hall, where the EAGLE WATCH WEEKEND II was stil=
> going on.
>
> WEATHER was generally quite cooperative and appropriate.  Temperature was
> -5
> C., wind was light, and visibility for our hour was generally good,
> varying
> from sunny to brightly overcast (mostly the latter).  Earlier and later i=
> the day there were snow squalls, and there was nice fresh snow on the
> trees
> and ground.
>
> After everyone reported their results, I added them up, and here are the
> totals:
>
> 427 BALD EAGLES (222 adults, 203 immatures, 2 not aged);
> 58 RED-TAILED HAWKS, ***including the PARTIAL ALBINO at Hortonville;
> 3 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS;
> 1 OR 2 prob. ?SHARP-SHINNED HAWK? (a large one with long tail -- Peter
> Hope)(another seen by Jean Timpa, too);
> 1 BARRED OWL.
>
> Non-raptors reported were 500 Canada Geese, and 40 + 50 Horned Larks.
>
> We had a problematic "situation" toward the end of our hour that needs to
> be
> reported, since there was possible/probable double-counting of some
> eagles.
> We have always done this count during just one hour, to minimize such
> counting inflations.  But we have encountered difficulties in other years=
;
> can recall at least two different counts where the reported number may
> have
> been somewhat exaggerated.
>
> There are three or four different assigned areas that all converge at the
> east end of the Gaspereau Valley, mainly from Wallbrook (s. of Grand Pre)
> almost to Avonport.  And in that Wallbrook and east area, along the river=
,
> many eagles decided to start flying at about 10:55 a.m. or so.  A couple
> of
> the counting teams also needed a bit of extra time after 11 a.m., and man=
> eagles were in the air and moving about by then.  Thus there was a bit of
> guesswork about whose eagles were whose in the counting.  In our defense,
> there was a bit of consultation between groups afterward at the Sheffield
> Mills Community Hall and bit later by e-mail.
>
> Also it should be reported as possible additions to our total raptors
> listed
> above, Luke DeCicco saw an adult PEREGRINE FALCON at Grand Pre two days
> before our count, and Doug and Joanne Linzey saw 2 SHORT-EARED OWLS on a
> dyke near The Guzzle at northeast Grand Pre the day before the count; the
> Allistons could not relocate the owls on our count-day.  Finally, I'm sur=
> our count on ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS is low, based on several other reports in
> areas where none were seen on the count-day.

--=20
Ronald G. Arsenault
Memramcook, N.B.

------=_Part_57622_9313029.1173224645123

 the geographical area (square kilometres) encompassed by the count?</div>
o:jimwolford@eastlink.ca">jimwolford@eastlink.ca</a>&gt;:</span>
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">Some of you may remember that I =
promised more details at the end of the<br>report below, and then nothing u=
ntil now.&nbsp;&nbsp;Well, see the extra bits of
ore<br>rough-legged hawks, and, most importantly, the possible double-count=
m in Wolfville, 542-9204
nk.ca">jimwolford@eastlink.ca</a>&gt;<br>Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 11:34:27 -0=
. 4, 2007 (Sunday) - 26th ANNUAL CYRIL K. COLDWELL EAGLES/RAPTORS COUNT
nd<br>counted raptors from 10 to 11 a.m., and then most reported results to=
 the<br>Sheffield Mills Community Hall, where the EAGLE WATCH WEEKEND II wa=
s still
e.&nbsp;&nbsp;Temperature was -5<br>C., wind was light, and visibility for =
our hour was generally good, varying<br>from sunny to brightly overcast (mo=
stly the latter).&nbsp;&nbsp;Earlier and later in
 immatures, 2 not aged);
>3 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS;<br>1 OR 2 prob. ?SHARP-SHINNED HAWK? (a large one wi=
th long tail -- Peter<br>Hope)(another seen by Jean Timpa, too);<br>1 BARRE=
D OWL.
s.<br><br>We had a problematic &quot;situation&quot; toward the end of our =
hour that needs to be<br>reported, since there was possible/probable double=
-counting of some eagles.
r>counting inflations.&nbsp;&nbsp;But we have encountered difficulties in o=
ther years; I<br>can recall at least two different counts where the reporte=
d number may have
igned areas that all converge at the<br>east end of the Gaspereau Valley, m=
ainly from Wallbrook (s. of Grand Pre)<br>almost to Avonport.&nbsp;&nbsp;An=
d in that Wallbrook and east area, along the river,
sp;A couple of<br>the counting teams also needed a bit of extra time after =
11 a.m., and many<br>eagles were in the air and moving about by then.&nbsp;=
&nbsp;Thus there was a bit of
our defense,<br>there was a bit of consultation between groups afterward at=
 it should be reported as possible additions to our total raptors listed
a<br>dyke near The Guzzle at northeast Grand Pre the day before the count; =
the
lly, I&#39;m sure<br>our count on ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS is low, based on sever=
al other reports in<br>areas where none were seen on the count-day.<br>----=

------=_Part_57622_9313029.1173224645123--