[NatureNS] Keeping Bird lists

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 15:13:28 -0400
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca,

Hi Tom,

I have used Avisys for a number of years, after giving up on using a
self-created database. The details are listed on their website (Google
it), and the advantages are numerous. It's easy to use to create
tailor-made lists (e. g. "my yard", "Canso and area" etc.), and
reports can be exported in csv, pdf and text forms. There are all
sorts of ways to calculate totals. E.g. for an upcoming trip to
California I entered reports-> all birds on California checklist but
not on my personal ABA list, and it produced a list of target birds
for the trip, that I can print in any of the above formats.

But .... it's a quite sophisticated program, and some aspects have
quite a learning curve, and the way you navigate around it is unlike a
Windows database or spreadsheet, so you need to get used to its
quirks. Also, if you become a world birder, you have to pay extra for
the checklist and distributions for different countries. It does come
with an excellent instruction manual, which you need to go through
while using the program.It's also self-contained, and doesn't rely on
.dll files and integration with the Windows registry.

There is an excellent and unbiased (?) review of bird listing software
here - http://www.surfbirds.com/Features/SoftwareReview/WhichSoftware.html

Hope this helps,

Richard

--