[NatureNS] 13 Harlequins

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 12:33:41 -0400

The Harlequin flock was back together at Port George this morning, with 13
birds being highly visible right next to the rocks on the bend in one very
tight grouping. There were 7 males and 6 females, enjoying the rough waters
and literally shining in the patchy sun. Further out from shore the
visibility was not as good as the large waves  and spray must have hidden a
great deal of what was out there. Despite that I managed to find:-
118 Common Eiders
7 Common Loons
22 White Winged Scoters
16 Surf Scoters
8 Long Tailed Ducks
5 Red Breasted Mergansers
A Horned Grebe and a Red Necked Grebe
The Long tail numbers seemed especially low in view of the high levels that
have been here previously - I am not sure if they are beginning to leave or
that I just couldn't see them in all the white breaking water. It was not a
day to stay out of the car for very long and I left as I could see a snow
squall approaching.

John Belbin - Kingston