[NatureNS] Local Bird Updates

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 02:16:59 +0000

This week I had a call with a turkey vulture at Mount Pleasant.  People were
feeding crows there and the vulture showed up for a few days.

The Baltimore Oriole at Gold River is still alive and well and has just
about made it through the winter.  This bird arrived in November of 2006.
The reportee gives the following when I mentioned well done:  We will be
poor but don't mind... green and red grapes every day... grape or crab apple
jelly and stewed crab apples along with the heated bird bath that we clean
religiously for fresh water.

The sandhill crane is still doing well.

The brown thrasher, which I had not been able to see at Lower Rose Bay has
made it through the winter thus far.  I thought the bird had left, but
received an update a few days ago letting me know that it was still there.
This bird had arrived pre December.  It apparently has been coming twice or
so every day to the feeder with it not showing during bad weather days.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Don’t waste time standing in line—try shopping online. Visit Sympatico / MSN
Shopping today! http://shopping.sympatico.msn.ca