[NatureNS] Province purchases natural areas

From: "Mary Macaulay" <marymacaulay@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:11:20 -0400

Heres some wonderful news!

Land Acquisitions Target Properties with Natural Assets
Department of Natural Resources
February 22, 2007 13:23

The province will help protect and preserve an additional 699 hectares
(about 1,727 acres) of prime Nova Scotia property for recreational and
tourism opportunities, coastal access, inland waterways, and wildlife
habitat this year.

Islands in Mahone Bay, St. Margarets Bay and North Harbour, and parcels of
land in Guysborough and Queens counties, are among the properties that are
being added to the province's existing Crown lands.

"These lands will help Nova Scotia protect endangered species and return
some of this province's precious coastal property to Nova Scotians' hands,"
Premier Rodney MacDonald said today, Feb. 22, at a news conference in Mahone
Bay. "These lands will provide recreational and environmental benefits to
Nova Scotians today and into the future."

Natural Resources Minister David Morse said it was important that the
province seize the opportunity to complete these additional acquisitions
this year so the lands were not lost to development.

"Nova Scotia has one of the lowest proportions of Crown land in Canada --
only Prince Edward Island is smaller," said Mr. Morse. "Much of our culture
was shaped by our proximity to the sea and to our natural habitat. These
special purchases reinforce our province's commitment to the environment and
to ensuring that future generations benefit from our rich culture and
traditions."

The new Crown purchases confirmed today were:
-- Coveys and Backman Islands, 61 hectares (150.5 acres) in Mahone Bay,
Lunenburg Co. Both islands have high potential for recreational use and will
expand the province's limited coastal access on the South Shore of Nova
Scotia.

-- Little Indian Island (also known as Micou's Island), St. Margarets Bay,
Halifax Co., a nine-hectare (22 acre) island that features natural wetlands
and is also of recreational value.

-- Sheep Island, North Harbour, Victoria Co., a 7.3-hectare (18 acre) area
that is home to colonies of great blue heron and terns.

-- Twelve hectares (30 acres) at McGowan's Lake, Queens Co. that includes
ponds that provide valuable habitat for overwintering of Blanding's turtles,
which have been identified in the area. Nova Scotia declared the Blanding's
turtles endangered in 2000.

-- George Eddy Company Limited lands, 442 hectares (1,092 acres) located on
the St. Mary's River, a popular salmon river, in Guysborough County. The
lands are in an area well known to residents and international visitors for
its pristine beauty and recreational opportunities -- including fishing,
canoeing and hiking -- and has been used as a site for studies of wood
turtles.

"We want to thank the partners, like the Mahone Island Conservation
Association and the St. Margaret's Bay Stewardship Association, who are
helping to ensure the future of some of these properties through stewardship
agreements," said Mr. Morse.

"We also want to thank private land donors and corporations like the George
Eddy Company Limited for helping us protect against development in areas
that provide Nova Scotians with fine examples of the natural assets we
treasure."

Negotiations on the remaining 167.5 hectares (414 acres) of special
acquisitions are expected to be completed by March 31. The special purchases
are expected to cost a total of $5.36 million, which includes $3.11 million
for the six acquisitions announced today.

Negotiations also continue on the purchase of properties announced in May
2006 as part of an agreement with Bowater Mersey Paper Company.

Find out the restaurants participating in Winterlicious
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=43.658648~-79.383962&style=r&lvl=15&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=3702663&cid=7ABE80D1746919B4!1329
From January 26 to February 8, 2007