[NatureNS] kelp flies/photography

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 01:21:02 -0400
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Bev and other respondents re. winter insects,
Thanks for the lead to your nice site, again (last time it was to your asilid
Dioctria). Endorsing Angus' comments, some really interesting photos.
  I guess it's a simple gap in personal knowledge, but I didn't know that the
adults of several 'advanced' flies like Ephydridae could be found as active
adults in the depths of winter (some of this family also are littoral flies in
seaweed).
The flies that we keep in culture like Drosophila and Calliphora live only for
a month or so as adults even in protective custody, and particular
species that
I catch in a garden trap here likewise appear only for a few weeks each year,
usually starting with beeflies in May. If the same applies to the species you
are seeing as adults in the dated January photographs on your site, emerging
then would seem to be a wasted endeavour for them genetically unless the flies
are actually breeding then and contributing to the next generation: raises the
possibility that species that do this get a jump by having an extra generation
in the year, though likely slowed down by the cold.  Regarding the comments
about the thermally protected micro-environment in the air spaces under stuff
like washed-up seaweed, fully agreed, but not in the case of the adults
if they
come out and cavort on the snow where their bodies will rapidly equilibrate to
ambient temperatures (probably in seconds).  So could it be that these are
simply occasional doomed escapees that didn't ought to be there (the Scots),
while the real adult action is going on happily above zero but in fermenting
vegetation under the protective snow cover (the Amundsens)?  Or maybe these
again are a few accidental escapees warmed up inadvertantly from an adult
population that is natural dormant and hibernating? So the focussed question
would be, are adult-flies-in-January of no real biological significance, or
part of an interesting natural cycle?

   On a half related technical question, it is difficult to capture colours
effectively if the insect/bird is photographed with a brilliant white
background filling most of the frame, presumably because the camera
automatically integrates in much of the background in setting the
exposure, and
so underexposes the insect itself. Snow in sunlight seems to be a particular
challenge.  Is there a known solution to this? Even switching to a centre spot
focus doesn't always seem to help a lot in my limited tries on this.
Presumably
filter up front would not be much help either because the troublesome
background radiation has such a broad spectrum (looks 'white'), but has
anybody
tried this, e.g. using a UV filter?  Photographers of birds must meet this all
the time in winter.  Any suggestions?
Steve, Halifax