[NatureNS] Birding Today

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:38:22 +0000

Dorothy Poole and I went out birding today for about four hours.  We covered
Dublin Shore to Riverport, Feltzen South and into Lunenburg via Mason's
Beach and then to Blue Rocks.  In all we saw 45 species and Dorothy was
three up on me when she left.  She had seen those before leaving Milton.
Therefore she was at 48 unless she saw more on the way home.

Of interest were:

Three Red-throated Loons, by Fort Point Museum in LaHave.  Also there were
14 ring-necked ducks, previously found by Sylvia Fullerton.

A juvenile northern goshawk between East LaHave and Riverport.

There were two Northern Pintail females close to Mason's Beach and a male at
Mason's Beach.

A northern harrier was behind the Tim Horton's in Lunenburg

Two gadwall were still in Lunenburg Harbour near the wharfs at the far end
of town.  These were the same two present since the Christmas bird count on
Jan. 2.  Also at this location was a thick-billed murre.

We had two red-tailed hawks a pair at Blue Rocks and another at Garden Lots.

James R. Hirtle
Lunenburg

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=43.658648~-79.383962&style=r&lvl=15&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=3702663&cid=7ABE80D1746919B4!1329
From January 26 to February 8, 2007