[NatureNS] Mockingbird

Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 21:15:25 -0400
From: Eleanor Lindsay <az678@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

David,
I can't comment on the mockingbird, but I have a heated birdbath 2-3
yards away from my feeders and it is used constantly all day long, and
sometimes is busier than my feeders - buying that heater was one of the
best bird investments I have made! (And this is in addition to a small
stream running through my property only a few more yards away). First to
use it in the morning are usually mourning doves, 2 -3 at a time, with
others lining up along the deck railing waiting for their turn, followed
by miscellaneous small birds, singly or in 2s and 3s (sometimes 6-9),
then groups of bluejays - and visits continue throughout each day, more
frequently in freezing weather. Collectively, they drink enough daily
that I often have to replenish the water level in freezing temperatures
- sometimes twice - for fear of the element becoming exposed. Because
starlings are a particular menace, not only drinking, but jumping in
repeatedly for a bath, even at-10C, I have had to cover the birdbath
with chicken wire, which has proved a most effective way of enforcing
'drinking only' rules!
Eleanor Lindsay,
Seabright