[NatureNS] Re:birds and milk bottles

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 19:21:43 -0400

I thank Steve Shaw for reminding me about an old bird story from Britain
that I had quite forgotten. The Blue Tit (Titmouse) and the milk bottle is
now one of the commonest animal lore stories in Britain.
I was brought up in the southern English county of Hampshire (Hants), right
opposite the Isle of Wight and I remember this behaviour from about 1948 or
thereabouts. It was highly frustrating for a young boy because the Blue Tits
were stealing the heavy cream off the top of the milk which I had always
considered my own special treat - we didn't have many in those days right
after the second world war had just finished. Steve is also right about the
clanking milk delivery. Our milk came directly from Tom Parkers farms and
was delivered by a horse drawn wagon that was so fancied up that Tom won
several awards. They are probably now in the local museum.

For those who would like more information:-

Extract from: The Living Company by Arie de Geus, Nicholas Brealey, 1999
The United Kingdom has a long standing system of delivering milk in bottles
to the door. At the beginning of the 20th century these milk bottles had no
top. Birds had easy access to the cream which settled in the top of the
bottle. Two different species of British garden birds, the blue tits and red
robins, learned to siphon up cream from the bottles and tap this new, rich
food source.

This innovation, in itself, was already quite an achievement. But it also
had an evolutionary effect. The cream was much richer than the usual food
sources of these birds, and the two species underwent some adaptation of
their digestive systems to cope with the unusual nutrients. This internal
adaptation almost certainly took place through Darwinian selection.

Then, between the two world wars, the UK dairy distributors closed access to
the food source by placing aluminium seals on their bottles.

By the early 1950's the entire blue tit population of the UK, about a
million birds, had learned how to pierce the aluminium seals. Regaining
access to this rich food source provided an important victory for the blue
tit family as a whole; it gave them an advantage in the battle for survival.
Conversely, the robins, as a family, never regained access to the cream.
Occasionally, an individual robin learns how to pierce the seals of the milk
bottle. But the knowledge never passes to the rest of the species.

In short, the blue tits went through an extraordinarily successful
institutional learning process. The robins failed, even though individual
robins had been as innovative as individual blue tits. Moreover, the
difference could not be attributed to their ability to communicate. As
songbirds, both the blue tits and the robins had the same wide range of
means of communication: colour, behaviour, movements, and song. The
explanation could be found only in the social propagation process: the way
blue tits spread their skill from one individual to members of the species
as a whole.

John Belbin - Kingston