[NatureNS] Bird identification assisstance needed

Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:27:05 -0400
From: Eric Mills <E.Mills@Dal.Ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I agree with Lois and Murray - first-winter male Red-winged Blackbird.
But please do send along a photograph.

Eric

Quoting Eleanor Lindsay <az678@chebucto.ns.ca>:

> Hello everyone,
> I have had a bird at my feeding site over the last few days that I
> have never seen before and since it was around on one of my Project
> Feederwatch count days I would dearly love to be able to identify it.
> It is similar in size and shape to, possibly a little bit smaller
> than, the three young grackles I have had around all winter (the same
> 'dark-eyed blackbirds' that Roland, Bernard, Ian Eric and I all
> communicated about last November - whose eyes have indeed now gone
> white- and I have never had grackles stay around this late before -
> but that is another matter..!). This bird in question is a dark,
> somewhat mottled brown colour, with parts of its rump and sides
> almost having a speckled appearance like a winter starling. It has a
> cream eyebrow stripe and two conspicuous cream wing bars, with a
> marked orange tone along the upper edge of the upper bar, which is
> much larger than the lower one. Its tail is long and the end of it
> flat, or slightly rounded. It feeds on the ground either alone or in
> the company of the grackles and bluejays.
> Does this ring a bell with anyone?
> I have a few photos, which due to light and distance are not the
> greatest, but I'd be happy to forward them to anyone
> interested.Eleanor Lindsay
> Seabright, St Margarets Bay

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Dr Eric L Mills
Professor Emeritus of History of Science
Dept of Oceanography, Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4J1, Canada
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ