[NatureNS] Panhandling

From: Steve Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:24:25 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Dave, You are without doubt a modern-day Aristotle.
 >>  How about initial condensation on the bottom of the pan when you
fill it with cold water, or else a tiny pin-hole somewhere, to give
little water droplets and tiny gas explosions (steam) as the driving
force? This would levitate the pan slightly so it would be mounted
briefly on a virtually frictionless bearing, and then would be able
rotate a bit to try to neutralize its undoubted out-of-balance state
(not possible to exactly balance a lumpy old pot).  Next droplet, next
explosion, 10 per second.  Or, with steam still the driving force, the
frequency might be some natural vibration of the pot and contents, or
of the pot and its handle (try over- or under-filling it to change the
frequency, and gluing up the handle).
 >>  Try filling it the night before with water and allowing this to
equilibrate to room temperature (control against external
condensation), and then putting it on a layer of paper towel presoaked
in copper sulphate solution and thoroughly re-dried (a check for minute
leaks -- would turn locally blue -> pink)?  -- just a thought.
 >> Sounds like very inefficient heat ->  vapour conversion-- acquire a
new pan with a flat bottom?
Looking forward to your step-by-step repudiation of these ideas, as
usual.
Steve, Halifax