[NatureNS] Cooper's hawk

Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 05:19:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Rob Woods <rrtwoods@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0-818402628-1168262342=:35571

I believe a possible Coopers Hawk was turned into the Natural History Museum after it had collided with a farmers barn on the Shubenacadie CBB. I have not heard the results.

  Rob Woods
  Georgefield

Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com> wrote:
  Hi Merritt, Jean, Suzanne and others,

Thank you for pointing out previous sightings of Cooper's Hawk in the
Valley. On the presence of a nest with eggs found in 1906 I stand
corrected.

The sighting from August and Dec.1992 may indeed have been a Cooper's,
but now, nearly 15 years later, with only vague recollections and no
photo or written description we'll never really know.

To be pedantic, there is no Rare Bird Committee. There is a Bird
Records Committee of the NSBS, which is still in the process of being
formed, and which has not yet had a chance to clearly review any
sighting, old or new. Those members of the committee who have seen the
description and photo of the mystery hawk on the W.Hants CBC agree
that the description sounds like a small Buteo - and so far that's
about all. For a committee like that to be credible and respected,
all the evidence has to be carefully weighed, various possibilities
eliminated, and a conclusion reached based on evidence that will stand
the scrutiny of time - and to even say that "is now classified as a
Buteo sp. by the Rare Bird Committee" is simply not, at this point,
correct. I agree with Suzanne that it would be lovely to have that
hawk seen again and photographed more closely.

Keep birding fun!

Richard

--
Richard Stern,