[NatureNS] Birds Today

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 22:54:13 +0000

Dorothy Poole and I took a quick jaunt about the area today to see what
birds we could find for new years day and to pre-scout for the Lunenburg
Christmas Bird Count.

Birds of interest.  Sandhill Crane at Rhodes Corner is still present, but
outside the count circle by a few km.  We did not see this bird this
morning, but in returning in the afternoon it was at the manure pile by the
barn.

Baltimore Oriole - Gold River
Green-winged Teal - three at Back Oler Farm Marsh - Garden Lots
Great Blue Heron - One at Back Oler Farm Marsh - Garden Lots
Orange-crowned Warbler - Garden Lots
Northern Cardinal - Female - Garden Lots

We also had Bald Eagles, a merlin and a red-tailed hawk.

Northern Pintails - 4 Blue Rocks
Northern Flicker - Blue Rocks
Bonaparte and Black-headed Gulls - Back Harbour - Lunenburg

We had 45 species and this was over a six hour period.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Off to school, going on a trip, or moving? Windows Live (MSN) Messenger lets
you stay in touch with friends and family wherever you go. Click here to
find out how to sign up!  http://www.telusmobility.com/msnxbox/