[NatureNS] raw game meat

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 19:48:23 -0400

	I didn't receive Warren Ervine's first message for some reason (I
don't find the service very consistent lately!), but I saw the copy which
David Webster attached to his reply.
	Having seen a partially grown porcupine shot and opened up a
number of years ago now for animal ecology class, I would not eat any wild
meat of any sort unless it was thoroughly cooked as is recommended for
our farm raised animals. The porcupine was full of tape worms and round
worms and all sorts of external parasites, and I doubt that a wild deer is any
cleaner. Sure one can eat it raw, and perhaps it is delicious, but you might
very well make yourself seriously ill in doing so, and not be worth the while.
For instance, does the trichinosis worm attack wild game animals, a worm
which gets into muscle tissues of pigs, the part of animals that we mostly
eat, although certain organs are also known delicacies?  I doubt if medical
doctors would recommend this practice!!! JET