[NatureNS] White Point Christmas Bird Count

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 02:38:32 +0000

A rough day in which to do a count, but it was a decent one.  It would have
been better had we more people in the field.  We only had two teams and six
people total in the field.  I do not have the final totals and Sam will
forward them to me once compiled.  I do know that we had 40 species and had
some decent birds with my group.  It was David Walmark, Dorothy Poole, a
young lady named Jennifer and I.

Good birds were 10 purple sandpipers, a red-throated loon, four
double-crested cormorants, an American Kestrel, six northern cardinals, a
cedar waxwing and five red-winged black-birds.  I noticed goodly numbers of
sparrows, song and white-throated.  Also, there was one group of 42
dark-eyed juncos, which could represent a movement of these species.  Large
numbers of common grackles were around to with almost 100 found by the other
group comprised of two sightings and we had a group of 32 with the
red-winged blackbirds at a location a long ways from the sighting of the
other two places.  There were a fair number of iceland gulls in.  A number
of species were within count period, which might have been found had the
weather been conducive. Species such as black-legged kittiwake, Baltimore
Oriole, and Barrow's Goldeneye, Northern Pintail and there were others I am
sure.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Download now! Visit http://www.telusmobility.com/msnxbox/ to enter and see
how cool it is to get Messenger with you on your cell phone.
http://www.telusmobility.com/msnxbox/