[NatureNS] Evening Grosbeak

From: "Marian Fulton & Art Harding" <fulton.harding@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 13:04:14 -0400

Not sure what works and what does not work but I have never had a
problem with rock doves while my neighbour used to have hordes of them.
I think it is a matter of what you offer and where you offer it.  Most
rock doves would prefer to eat off the ground or a large open feeder.  I
have cracked corn in feeders on posts and black oil sunflower and niger
seed in silo type feeders.  I have one metal silo that can be used for
peanuts or the larger sunflower seeds.  I occasionally will put cracked
corn on the ground well away from the other feeders if there are
pheasants around.  I occasionally use the mixed seed but find most of
the mixes have fillers that the local birds do not eat.

I also put out dried corn on the cob on the top of my garden fence.
Earlier this week it was interesting to watch a flicker "guarding" it
against the blue jays.  The flicker was sitting near the corn and
whenever a blue jay came close he would fluff himself up and edge a
little closer to the corn.  Not sure how long he did this but he was
there at least an hour.

Marian Fulton
Hantsport