[NatureNS] Snow Geese

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 08:55:22 -0800 (PST)
From: Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Peter and All
Snow Geese have become somewhat like spam - their
numbers are at an alltime high - and not everyone is
pleased.
There is a school which says their Artic nestgrounds
are been overgrazed - so badly that other birds are
being affected. Their limiting factor used to be
winter grazing in the south. Modern farms have removed
this bottleneck so there is a population explusion. As
they have plenty food in Quebec and parts south, they
never found it necessary to expand to the Maritimes -
a few ocassionally but since a lot of farm geese are
white and can fly. A casual glance at a few birds
hardly defines what you are seeing.
CWS has introduced extensive modifications to the
hunting rules in Quebec in an effort to ease the
pressure on the northern nesting grounds but it seems
to have had little effect. A few less adults = more
grazing for the rest = more young!
An interesting bird. and a good Christmas dinner!
Enjoy the winter
Paul