FW: [NatureNS] Trees and Fungus

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:26:28 -0400
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

I'll add one small thing to what David has said below, concerning modes of
entry for wood-rotting fungi.  It has recently been discovered that
woodpeckers on their beaks carry spores of invasive fungi.  Thus the wounds
from the probings of woodpeckers very adaptively (from the point of view of
the woodpeckers) can result in infection of the bark and wood and thus the
degradation of the tree, which will attract woodpecker food.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville