[NatureNS] Cherry pits

From: "Peter Hope" <peterhope@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 02:34:17 -0400

Hi David,
I'm not sure what chewed into the pits. When I find pits like that stored
and all sorted to one species I suspect one of the mice of the genus
Peromyscus. We have both P. maniculatus, the deer mouse and P. leucopus, the
white-footed mouse  (a more southerly species but still found in western
mainland NS to Truro and a bit east of there0. Those little guys like to
sort their food and store it, so you tend to find piles of all one type of
seed or pit.

They are active all winter and of course the stored food stockpiles help
them make it through when seeds would be difficult to find.
I've never seen how they chew their food items.

Pete Hope