[NatureNS] Re: Irregular and long delays on NatureNS

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 00:11:02 -0400
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Belated 'Hi' to all,      [sent Wednesday 12 Dec, 00:11]
Pat beat me to the draw in making the same point about "not back to
normal". I've had no NatureNS posts for something like a day, then a
bunch came in
starting 7:22 PM this evening, then a second bunch.  Of the 18
consecutive ones
I looked at:
DELAY            NUMBER WITH THAT DELAY
2 to 2.4 days      11
1-1.4 days          4
0.5 day             1
1-2 hours:          2 (both Susan Borkowski -- what's your secret Susan?)
The last one in the bunch that I counted was from Lois C. asking for info
regarding a birding trip for the following day. This took 2 days to come
through, so arrived 1 day too late to be useful.
On this 'stirring' topic, some serious people have suggested that we
should not
change, or that service may be just as bad elsewhere, or that at least we
should wait to see if things soon settle down. A slight majority of
respondents
seem to be in this camp. Perhaps the way to go is to wait to see if things are
still as bad in a couple of weeks, then revisit the issue again (come
to think,
that would be on Boxing Day, maybe not the best timing). Maybe re-think early
in the New Year?
  Regarding Dave's comment about potential elitism in a brave new network, I
took Blake's comment instead to refer to possible mechanisms for effectively
excluding spammers so they couldn't automatically join or log in, not to a
desire to exclude supposed undesirables.  Actually I used to enjoy the
knowledgeable but occasionally incendiary posts from a birder who used to be
able contribute to NatureNS, but was kicked off a year or two back for going
over the top...
Steve

--
Stephen R. Shaw Ph.D.