[NatureNS] Irregular and long delays on NatureNS

From: Steve Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 14:42:17 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Re. Don's comment below, I recall some explanation for the haphazard
delays on NatureNS from our list administrator a while back, but
deleted it.   The redwing post from Dorothy Poole on Dec 1 arrived here
on Dec 6 -- taking 5 days -- while some posts seem to come through
quite quickly, same day.   The whole back-and-forth nature of
communication is now chaotic.   Rather than asking for explanations
(presumably overloaded hardware, or new spam), is there any prospect of
improvement now that the system has deteriorated this far?  Canada Post
would be quicker.
A while ago, Blake Maybank (I think it was) commented that NatureNS is
not archived and therefore not searchable, and suggested to consider
that the list be switched to some other carrier that does have these
facilities.   Is it time to consider this seriously, for the additional
reason of the current variable and sometimes extreme delays?  I'm not
technically well informed on this to know how much trouble this would
be, or who would get stuck with the job, but some people on the list
seem to be knowledgeable about the technicalities.  Anyone want to bite
into this one again? Or is the performance likely to get back to where
it was a few weeks back?
Steve
Halifax