[NatureNS] Prior snow goose comments

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 02:52:22 +0000

I made some comments in a previous post, which were inaccurate.  I had
mentioned that the geese at Daniels Head were tame snow geese.  This is not
correct.  I knew that they were tame birds, so did not look closely at them.
  I had actually seen snow geese there on a previous visit, in the fall.
Knowing that the geese/ducks normally seen at that location were tame I
assumed that the snow geese,  I was seeing were also tame.  I therefore
jumped to the wrong conclusion when seeing the tame geese on the 3rd.  I did
not take a second look at them thinking they were the same birds previously
seen and thus the confusion.  So to clarify the birds at Daniels head were
some other species of domesticated geese or maybe even ducks.  It turns out
that the snow geese I saw in the fall were actually wild and consisted of
about a dozen birds.

In Centreville, five birds were seen in all.  I knew one was a snow goose
for sure, confirmed by others present also seeing this bird.   Again, I
assumed that the other four were such.  A wrong assumption, but to my
defense, two looked like juvenile snow geese and matched the coloration and
the other two, which were actually some domesticated species looked like
other snow geese, although one in flight was much larger.  Assuming that all
must be tame I did not take a closer look at the other four, which were
actually domesticated species of some sort.  So in actuality the one snow
goose present was wild with four tame geese.

A lesson well learned, and I now know not to assume that larger ducks and
geese in areas where I know there are domesticated birds might not be so at
Cape Sable Island and elsewhere.  In the future I will take more time to
check out the birds in those areas. Live and learn as they say and all the
best to all for now.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

friends module.