[NatureNS] Sandhill Crane Update

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 01:08:13 +0000

Hi all:

Strike two for me, but Dorothy Poole saw the bird this morning at around
11:00.  It was being chased by all things, a bald eagle.  Other birders do
have permission to drive up over the road to where the tower and field is.
The owner Max Drennon requests that no one drives drives into the field area
and that you stay on the dirt part of the roadway.  He does not mind anyone
trying to see this bird if you follow those guidelines.  The location again
is if coming from Bridgewater from Hebbville and turning towards Conquerall
Bank you will see a tower high on a hill on the left with a roadway up to
it.  You cannot miss this tower.  If coming off the 103 from the Conquerall
Bank turnoff, you would turn off towards Bridgewater just past the
Conquerall Mills Dam.  The turn would be to the left.  If you drive past
Fancy's Lake and past where Fancy's Lake Canteen was and head towards
Bridgewater you will see a gravel pit on the right with a house number 445.
A short way down the road from there will be the turn in for the road that
goes up to the tower on the right.

A note is that I was there at 09:00 this morning and the bird was present
according to Max, but further back on the field beyond the tower.  I did not
drive further back at that point as I had not made connections with Max to
see if it was okey.  I also figured that from my vantange point of the tower
that I could see all areas of the field.  I was wrong.  With prior calls Max
had been out.  This bird has been present at this location every day since
Sunday.  Max was concerned this evening that the bird might have taken off
or left as at dusk it lifted off over the trees in the direction of the
ocean and there are no fields or places to set down for a long ways.
Anyhow, I shall try again in the morning.  Maybe the third time will be a
charm.  For any others that wish to try for this bird as I mentioned we now
have permission.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Off to school, going on a trip, or moving? Windows Live (MSN) Messenger lets
you stay in touch with friends and family wherever you go. Click here to
find out how to sign up!  http://www.telusmobility.com/msnxbox/