[NatureNS] Long-tails etc

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:07:19 -0400

This is a re-post of a message that was sent this morning and seems to have
vanished into the ether. My apologies if it shows up and you get two
copies - john Belbin

Yesterday (Monday) I managed to get over to Port George to see both low tide
and quiet conditions, something we haven't had for a while. At 9:30 am it
was calm, bright and hazy with almost no waves - great viewing at Cottage
Cove and still good at Port George.

On the reef were 24 seals with many more in the water, 10 of them were the
ugly looking Greys.
The voices of Long-tailed Ducks seemed to float in from everywhere and I was
able to count at least 87 of them, with probably a lot more just out of
range of my scope. Also along that strip were:-
125 Common Eiders
7 Horned Grebes
15 Red Necked Grebes
24 Red Throated Loons
38 Surf Scoters
12 White Winged Scoters, and
5 Common Loon

In their usual location between the bend and the Lighthouse were 12
Harlequin Ducks, 8 Males and 4 females. The Harlequin were in two groups of
6 birds, each with 4 males and 2 females, close enough so that you could see
both groups at the same time. They were pretty frisky and would often stop
feeding to chase each other. I saw several pursuits where all 4 males would
chase after the same female, while the undesirable female simply kept on
feeding.

Over at MARGARETVILLE it is much more exposed so the waves were higher and
the breeze stronger and colder. Surprisingly there were several seals
cruising by in the shallow waters. Here were 10 Long-Tailed Ducks and it
sounded like a lot more at times. There were also 21 Common Eider, 2 Red
Necked Grebes, and 2 Red Throated Loons.

I spent some attention on the Eiders at both places but there was not
anything that might have been a King, and the viewing of most was quite
good - maybe later. I was expecting the odd Alcid but so far they have been
hiding from me.

John Belbin - Kingston