[NatureNS] Re:re:Mystery bird,First Lake, Lower Sackville

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:02:41 -0500 (EST)
From: Clarence Stevens <birder_ca@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Bernard, Hi All, The yellow leg band is typical of the plastic leg bands
used by people who keep captive birds.   Unlike the metal CWS bands these
plastic bands often do not have numbers or letters on them.  Since it is
expected that most captive bred birds will be spending their life in captivity
the band is more of an easy way for the owner to recognize the bird should it
accidentally escape.  Occasionally these private bands will have information on
them on how to contact the owner. For many years now Natural Resources has been
trying to catch a person near Sackville that illegally releases birds into the
wild. One species that he has released in the past is the Mandarin Duck, which
Natural Resources believes was the source of the Mandarin that showed up at the
Bedford Place Mall several years ago. - cheers Clarence