(No Subject)

your #5, but was left unsaid by you.
Steve

On 23-Nov-06, at 3:12 PM, Blake Maybank wrote:
>  Re: Global Warming
>
>  The following are extracts from the book "Heat", written by the =20
> Guardian reporter George Monbiot.=A0=A0 They are quite informative.=A0 =
The =20

-----------------------------------------------------------------------=20=

> ------
>  Blake Maybank
>  Editor, "Nova Scotia Birds"

--Apple-Mail-2--818919052

Thanks Blake, very informative and scary.  I've just read these
quickly and second your recommendation: anyone interested in vast
disinformation campaigns funded by threatened commercial interests
should read at least the first of these excerpts, then the last.

As far as I've been able to make out, none of the folks on this list
so far including me actually works close to this area either in
academia, industry or government, so Bruce Stevens' authorative
commentary was an eye-opener (someone in a closely related field --
presumably without any conflicting interest re. the Monbiot
commentaries just mentioned).  I'd largely agree with points 1-4 (with
some reservations about reviewers), but 5-7 are more interesting in
what's not being said as a corollary.  Point 5 indicates that the
multiproxy approach to this problem by now has been almost completely
discredited.  In the language of any scientific field this means that
one now has to completely discount the so-called hockey stick claimed
result -- back to square one.  =20

Bruce, in your opinion, does this mean that there is now NO useful
current model that predicts recent climate change with any significant
reliability? Or did you mean that this is an inferior model compared
with others that do it better?  As a corollary, is it then the case
that the claimed excess in the upturn in average global temperature
(near the end of the hockey stick) simply cannot yet be associated
with any certainty at all with anthrogenic activity (as opposed to the
complicated past history of the system, plus global/astronomical
cycles that Dave Webster was referring to originally)?   I hope I'm
not misinterpreting, but this last conclusion ("significant excess
warming from anthropogenic sources is so far unsupported") seems to
follow from your #5, but was left unsaid by you. =20

Steve