[NatureNS] aurora sounds

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:07:02 -0400

	Well, funny you should mention that someone needs to be way up
North. There is a really good possibility that my first born son is flying into
Yellowknife on Friday or Saturday for the next month and then on to some
remote diamond drilling camp between the Great Bear Lake and the Great
Slave. He can hardly wait to see what the aurora situation is going to be
like, and he hopes very much to hear them. He'll be there off and on until
the first of May when the ground becomes too soft for easy movement and
the lakes thaw where the diamonds are found under the water, under the
top rock. He is a geochemist, not a physicist, but he has some background
and very much a liking and understanding of it. And he is so keen to hear
the aurora.  He will be in the land of snow covered permafrost, with NO
trees or needles, thank goodness. We don't need that factor being a
suspicion. At -40C and F he is not going to be able to pull his hood down
for very long to listen, but I know he will try his best. He may even go back
some in the summer to do ground surveys, but usually they get the
summers off. After a shift or two up there he will enough jingle in his
pockets to buy some pretty decent equipment, but he will need some expert
advice, if anyoine can truly tell him ?????
	I still think that personnel at the University of Alaska, where there is
a whole unit just devoted to the study of the aurora, must have attempted
to record the sound, a well enough known phenomena, and are more likely
to have accurate data on it, or an explanation for why they can't record it,
or a suggestion as to how to go about it, which ever way they are currently
leaning on this curious subject. JET