FW: [NatureNS] Eagle ID

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:10:46 -0400
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

I would add to Richard's info' here that it often takes 5 years for the full
adult plumage to develop, and various studies of the immature plumages at
Acadia University over the years, and especially in the late Cyril
Coldwell's captive pens back in the 1970s and'80s showed that they are
extremely variable in their colour patterns over the years and even sort-of
have light and dark colour-phases.  In all of the immature plumages, the
wing linings (underside, near leading edges of spread wings) are white and
contrast with the mostly dark rest of the wings.  The colour of the belly
and back etc. is quite variable.  Check your field guides for the field
marks of the golden eagle in both adult and immature plumages -- bald eagles
never show anything resembling these.  Cheers from Jim in Wolfville