[NatureNS] dead birds on causway

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:59:23 -0400
From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Jeannie and others,

We also noticed a few dead birds on the causeway when we returned from our
sojourn in Baddeck a couple of weeks ago.  I noted that a couple were N.
Gannets and there may have been a couple of gulls as well.  Actually I was
not surprised by this sighting since there appeared to be a feeding frenzy
going on in the channel in which up to 3000 Gannets and many hundreds of
gulls were taking part.  I posted a summary of our trip highlights shortly
after we returned to Hfx.  I presumed that the birds had either hit the
causeway structure or had been struck by cars or trucks.  It certainly was a
hive of activity when we were there!!

Bob McDonald
Halifax