[NatureNS] birding this afternoon - eastern Kings Co. how to see

Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 20:25:31 -0400
From: George Forsyth <g4syth@staff.ednet.ns.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: George Forsyth <g4syth@staff.ednet.ns.ca>

To see ducks on the pond, walk up the slope using the compressor house
as a blind, go to the south and peek around the edge of the house
slowly without actually walking around the corner, if the ducks are
distracted and don't sit up alertly take one step to the left and you
are standing with your back against the east facing brick wall, you
literally need to have your back to the wall! Raise your binoculars
very slowly to your eyes and you have a good chance to observe the
ducks. At this time of the year the south pond seems to attract bay and
diving ducks, such as goldeneyes, ringnecks, buffleheads and scaup, the
north pond in cold weather will have dabblers feeding above the in
flow, half way in on the west side of the pond. The dabblers are less
likely to flush so go to the south side first.

Many years of practice, yet still not perfect!!!

George

On 7, Nov 2006, at 08:38 PM, Jean Timpa wrote:

> Brenda and Bill Thexton and I went out for about 2 and a half hours
> this
> afternoon. It was just too lovely to stay inside.
> 	Port Williams Sewage Ponds:  5 Barrow's Goldeneyes, 2 males in
> summer plumage, one female with its yellow bill, one bird which was
> either
> a molting male (into winter plumage) or an immature male, and one
> immature female with little yellow on its bill. They are quite
> skitterish and
> do not stay on the pond long but take off and go to the river, so you
> need to
> be as quiet and alert as possible, and if travelling in a group, go up
> the
> slope together, or some of you are apt to miss them.
> 	Canard Poultry Pond:  Lots and lots of Mallards, Blacks, and Green
> winged Teal and one male Pintail.
> 	Saxon Street Pond:  one immature Eagle sitting in a tree
> 	Saxon Street Pond marsh on the other side of the road: 5 Mallards
> and a male Hairy Woodpecker
> 	Silver Lake in Centreville: 25-30 Herring Gulls in the middle of the
> lake, surrounded by 4-500 Canada Geese on the outside, with 10 very
> pretty Bufflehead Ducks swimming and diving through their midst. Some
> of
> the males were still in summer plumage.   Jean Timpa

George E. Forsyth						ph.  902 681 4910
c/o Evangeline Middle School			fax. 902 681 4909
9387 Commercial St.
New Minas, N.S.
B4N 3G3