[NatureNS] ozone holes and northern lights: was Re: FW: Historical perspective

Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 15:09:45 -0400
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Dear All, Nov 8, 2006
Further to my question of Sept 10, 2005 (below) I have from day one
doubted the conventional CFC rationale for preferental depletion at the
poles. In spite of most CFC release being at low latitudes the
consequences are seen mostly at the poles, so the rationale goes,
because only over the poles does ozone have the optimum temperature for
the reaction or some such explanation; sure.

So I was interested to see a few days ago, in an old article on the
northern lights (Smithsonian 7(11):64-69, 1977), that "Chemical changes
in the atmosphere are also provoked by the influx of energetic
particles. In particular, the density of nitric oxide increases. The gas
catalytically destroys ozone...". This influx of particles takes place
at the poles.

Have there been any studies of possible relationships between polar
ozone thinning on the one hand and auroral activity, solar wind storms
and/or sunspot cycles on the other ?

The article also mentions in passing the enigma of sound generation by
northern lights. I have read elsewhere that attempts to record sound
produced by the northern lights have recorded only silence [and in
another context, cannon roars recorded for the 1812 Overture by
conventional methods sounded like a soap bubble bursting]. Many people,
including yours truly, have heard the northern lights so one must ask
what form of energy is being 'heard'.

Is it possible that inner ear papillae can act as detectors for high
frequency radio waves generated by electrical discharges ?

Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville

Hi Jim & All, Sept 10, 2005
Has anyone examined a possible connection between sunspot cycles and
ozone thinning at the poles ?
DW