[NatureNS] Barrington Birds

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 09:40:16 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Christie <maryspt@nbnet.nb.ca>

At 9:49 PM -0400 11/1/06, <roland.mccormick@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Did you ever see a grackle with black eyes?
>
>Yesterday... I had five blue jays, two mourning doves, two sparrows,
>and a bird that looked exactly like a grackle with black eyes
>instead of the usual bright yellow ones.  I thought at first it was
>a red wing blackbird, but there was not the trace of an epaulet.
>Also, the bird was a bit larger than a red wing blackbird.  So the
>question - did you ever see a black eyed grackle?

Well, maybe not black-eyed, but dark brown.  Immature grackles have
brown eyes.  Most probably turn yellow by early October, but I was
surprised to see a brown-eyed grackle here on Nov. 12, 1998, and have
seen photos of an even later one from White Head Island, Grand Manan,
in early December 2004.
--

David Christie
Mary's Point, Albert Co., New Brunswick, CANADA