[NatureNS] Barrington Birds

Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 09:15:21 -0400
From: Eleanor Lindsay <az678@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Yes Roland, I did - for several days in late November/early December
last year - it struck me as different and I took several photos of it
and submitted them for identification along with a written description
to Project Feederwatch, which I am a member of. (I had not yet joined
NatureNS at that time). I never did hear back from them about the bird
and, most regrettably, only quite recently threw out my spare copies,
thinking that I had made a fuss about nothing. I still have a copy of my
written description, however:
" Blackbird shape, slightly smaller than a bluejay - starling size??,
longish tail, ?roundish at the end, black beak (medium length), black
legs and and black eyes. Plumage all black with marked glossy blue-green
sheen. It appeared with a small flock of grackles and stayed around for
approx 5-6 days, eating black oil sunflower and mixed wild bird seeds."
Like you, my first thought was of a redwing, but it was definitely not
that and, while there were similarities to grackles, that didn't quite
fit either. The only other (and very remote) possibility I questioned
was a Shiny Cowbird, which Project Feederwatch just around that time had
confirmed a first sighting of in Nova Scotia - in Cape Breton, I think
it was. A photo was included and I felt there were similarities - which
is why I sent the pictures to them.
Eleanor Lindsay
Seabright, St Margarets Bay

PS I also received these amazing photos of the hand fed hummers!