[NatureNS] Wonderful outing yesterday, birds and leps.

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 12:42:31 +0000

Dorothy Poole, David Walmark and I had a grand outing yesterday.  I
personally ended the day with 50 species.

We started at Summerville Beach where two killdeer were a treat.  Another
killdeer was seen by David and I at Cherry Hill Beach.

Also, along Summerville was a large movement of birds with various numbers
of black-capped chickadees, dark-eyed juncos and a few other species at
every stop along the road.  Roughly 30 black-capped chickadees were
observed.  Large numbers of yellow-rumped warblers with roughly 43 in the
area.  We had a black-headed gull off of Summerville Beach.  A nice treat
were large numbers of horned grebes and even more of red-necked grebes.  My
count on horned grebes was 25 and red-necked grebes 77.  There were a lot of
inlets that we could not see in to, so greater numbers than what I have
listed were there.  We had all three scoter species with 11 white-winged
scoters, 10 black socters and 20 surf scoters.  A northern harrier was
flying over the bay and one red-throated loon was also there.  David and I
later had another red-throated loon at Cherry Hill Beach.

At White Point there were six buffleheads and five northern pintails with
one red-winged blackbird female.

At West Berlin we had one pied-billed grebe in the marsh area beside the
road there.

At Eagle Head a surprisingly late red admiral which I got photos of.  We
also saw three monarchs there and a monarch at one other location in our
travels.  In terms of odes there were meadowhawks about and one dragonfly
that I did not get a good look at.

Getting back to Birds off of Andrew's Head there were 146 northern gannets.
Off of Cherry Hill Beach I counted 113 northern gannets.

In regards to shorebirds at Cherry Hill Beach David and I had 28
sanderlings, 30 black-bellied plovers and four semi-palmated sandpipers.  We
also saw 12 horned larks, two American Pippits and 40 Lapland Longspurs.

A real surprise was a new yard bird, which was a Wilson's snipe, which flew
up from beside the little brook that runs through the property, as I got
into the car to go to a meeting in the evening.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Experience Live Search from your PC or mobile device today.
http://www.live.com/?mkt=en-ca