[NatureNS] local barnacle species?

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:08:23 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "Patricia L. Chalmers" <Patricia.Chalmers@ukings.ns.ca>

--=====================_27133078==_.ALT

Hi there,

         Not about barnacles particularly, but there was an article in the
October 12 issue of The Coast (the Halifax independant weekly newspaper)
which might be of more general interest.  The article is by Neal Ozano and
is entitled "Chemical Harbour".  He reported on research by Camille Coray
(a grad student) on pollution in Halifax Harbour and its impact on marine
life.  Among other case studies, she is examining the effects of
Tributyltin, or TBT (used as a fungicide in wood, and as an anti-fouling
agent in marine paints) and its effects on Dog Whelks.

         The article can be found on the archives of the Coast at
www.thecoast.ca ; the link to the article itself is rather long, at
http://www.thecoast.ca/1pubicindex.lasso?-token.editorialreferral=149938.113118

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

At 07:42 AM 23/10/2006 -0300, you wrote:
>    Hi,
>    any barnacle experts out there? My daughter is doing a Grade 11
> biology project on the effect of tides on a barnacle population in
> Halifax Harbour.  (On Saturday afternoon, we have spent a cold and windy
> hour in a canoe at the mouth of Dartmouth's "Sawmill River," measuring
> and counting barnacles on a wooden seawall.)
>    All the individuals we saw looked morphologically identical, even
> though there were several size classes present, and we assume that they
> all belonged to the same species, Northern Rock Barnacle (Balanus
> balanoides). Is this the common intertidal zone barnacle species in Nova
> Scotia? Could someone confirm our species ID? Many thanks!
>    Dusan Soudek

--=====================_27133078==_.ALT

Hi there,<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Not about
barnacles particularly, but there was an article in the October 12 issue
of <u>The Coast</u> (the Halifax independant weekly newspaper) which
might be of more general interest.&nbsp; The article is by Neal Ozano and
is entitled &quot;Chemical Harbour&quot;.&nbsp; He reported on research
by Camille Coray (a grad student) on pollution in Halifax Harbour and its
impact on marine life.&nbsp; Among other case studies, she is examining
the effects of Tributyltin, or TBT (used as a fungicide in wood, and as
an anti-fouling agent in marine paints) and its effects on Dog
Whelks.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>The
article can be found on the archives of the Coast at
www.thecoast.ca ;
the link to the article itself is rather long, at
http://www.thecoast.ca/1pubicindex.lasso?-token.editorialreferral=149938.113118<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br><br>
At 07:42 AM 23/10/2006 -0300, you wrote:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; any barnacle experts out there? My daughter is doing a Grade
11 biology project on the effect of tides on a barnacle population in
Halifax Harbour.&nbsp; (On Saturday afternoon, we have spent a cold and
windy hour in a canoe at the mouth of Dartmouth's &quot;Sawmill
River,&quot; measuring and counting barnacles on a wooden seawall.)<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; All the individuals we saw looked morphologically identical,
even though there were several size classes present, and we assume that
they all belonged to the same species, Northern Rock Barnacle (Balanus
balanoides). Is this the common intertidal zone barnacle species in Nova
Scotia? Could someone confirm our species ID? Many thanks!<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Dusan Soudek</blockquote></html>