[NatureNS] Bird Movement Today and dickcissel

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 22:52:53 +0000

Yesterday I spent pretty well the whole day birding with only 36 species to
show for it.  Today I went out for about two and a half hours and had 40
species.  There were goodly numbers of migrants all over the place with
mostly normal expected species.  What I mean is goodly numbers of birds
about everywhere.

Highlights of my travels today were two Canada Jays at Dublin Shore.  At
Crescent Beach both surf scoters, a Black Scoter, Horned Grebes a red-necked
grebe and an extremely early male long-tailed duck.  There were six savannah
sparrows and two Nelson's sharp-tailed sparrows.

At Petite Riviere a brown creeper.

At Broad Cove tons of yellow-rumped warblers.  They were everywhere along
the road.  There was a nice flurry of migrants by the one pond on the
shoreline side as you travel from Broad Cove to Cherry Hill.  Still in Broad
Cove though.  With this group were two ruby-crowned kinglets, a swamp
sparrow and a dickcissel.  The dickcissel I believe was a young bird.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Ready for the world's first international mobile film festival celebrating
the creative potential of today's youth? Check out Mobile Jam Fest for your
a chance to WIN $10,000! www.mobilejamfest.com