[NatureNS] Northern Wheatear and LBBGs, Wolfville and Grand Pre

From: "Luke DeCicco" <akswallow@hotmail.com>
To: NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 09:01:49 -0800

Hello,
This morning I drove over to Duncan's Cove and Sandy Point Road hoping for
some decent birds from all this west wind.  No such luck, only things of
interest were: huge numbers of American Robins (2,000+) and a Baltimore
Oriole.  On my way back I stopped by the Windsor Sewage ponds, 3 American
Wigeon, 1 DC Cormorant, 1 Northern Shoveler, and 4 BB Plovers, plus the
regulars.  Between Grand Pre and the Wolfville Sewage pond, along the dykes
etc, saw a total of 9 adult LBB Gulls, no double counts I am pretty sure.
There are a lot of gulls out there, pretty spread out though.  Then when I
was about ready to leave I flushed a Northern Wheatear off of one of the
dykes.  I was able to get very good looks and lots of photos of this bird.
It appeared to be a 1st winter bird or a female, I'll go through my photos
and try to figure that out.  It was hanging out along the water side of the
dyke that runs between the Sewage Ponds and the little red building.  It
should be a relatively easy bird to find if one just walks along the top of
the dyke.  I saw it first at about 1:00 this afternoon.  Good luck to anyone
who looks for it.
Bird on,
Luke DeCicco
Wolfville