=?WINDOWS-1252?Q?Re:_[NatureNS]_Lesser_Black-backed_Gull,_Grand_?= =?WINDOWS-1252?Q?Pr=E9_Probably_only_of_interest_to_Gull_ID_freaks)?=

Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 08:25:46 -0300
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi,

LBB Gulls occur at Grand Pre, Windsor Sewage Ponds, and the fields
around Canard Poultry at this time of year with increasing regularity.
They are also being reported more from Sullivan's Pond and elsewhere
in the province. Most of them seem to be typical graelsii, but some do
seem to have a darker mantle. However a recent thread on ID Frontiers
cautioned against trying to sub-speciate all but the most extreme
morphs of LBBG as there  is too much overlap - here is the relevant
quote  -

"The Finnish Gull-watchers have tried to work out reliable criteria to
identify pale-mantled subspp of LBBG in the field for more than ten
years, with very meagre results.

My current opinion is that there is no known way to fully reliably
identify ANY subspecies of LBBG in ANY age class, even if there are
great average differences both in colouration and moult patterns.
I would be very pleased to hear well-grounded objections to my view!"

I have just come back from southern Spain, where Yellow-legged gulls
were abundant. They are a big, brutush-looking, bulky species, rather
like a GBB Gull but with a Herring gull's mantle, and of course yellow
legs. The bill is relatively short but thick, and the pattern of black
and mirrors on the primaries seems rather unique, with more extensive
black and a sharp cutoff well forward on the outermost 2 primaries (I
have some pics but can't post attachments to NatureNS).

As far as I recall there are no good records of YLGU for NS, although
approx. 10 years ago there was a good candidate that appeared at the
NW Arm in Halifax. However, after various larophiles had seen the
pics, they were thought to be a HEGU with yellowish legs (possibly an
"omissus" form of the N. European HEGU - which in itself would be
fascinating).

While we're at it, is there any known way to visually tell N.American
HEGUs  from European ones in adult plumage? Apparently they are
genetically quite distinct, and almost certainly different species.

Richard

--
Richard Stern,

rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca