[NatureNS] Canso Area Birds

From: "Terri Crane" <terri.crane@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>, <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:27:40 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_003F_01C6F432.5ED88C70

Hi All

It's been a while since I last posted and yes the birds still frequent =
our
little hot spot but we've been keeping secrets [not really but I've been
teased indicating that's what some thought ;-} ]! Anyway there seems to
have been a small fall out of stuff in our neck of the woods so to =
speak.

Today Oct 19th when returning home I found a W. King Bird on the wire in
front of the house being harassed by the N. Mocking bird that's been in =
the
area and around my place for the past 1 1/2 - 2 weeks now! I knew right
away it wasn't a Eastern KB because of the yellow wash but I gave chase =
wit
Binos and camera to rule out other Species. While in pursuit I realized =
that
I had 2 WKB's (only 50' apart at one time) and still being harassed by =
the
NM Bird! I left the birds at the brow of the hill and ~3 min later when =
stopped in the car at the spot I quickly located 1 bird atop a spruce
across the road again being harassed by the NM Bird. As soon as the NMB
stopped swooping at it the other WKB flew right in to take over the
harassment and it to departed over the brow of the hill in the same
direction as the NMB. As I started to move forward I was stunned to see =
the
the 2nd WKB fly in to continue the harassment of what I now know was a =
3rd
WKB (the one that was perched atop the spruce)! ~15 Min later I searched
the hill top but was unable the relocate the 4 birds (3 WKB's and 1 NMB)

I did find on the hill though 1 OC Warb., 1 (A) WE Vireo, 1 C-C Sparr., =
and
2 I. Buntings.

Steph B. Checked out a strange bird report and found a YB Cuckoo.
The first noted YB Cuckoos arrived on Oct 7th and have been seen daily =
ever
since It's hard to spend any amount of time along the edges of the woods
(especially in sun lit areas) without locating one or more! I found 4 on =
the
10th with in 2-300 yards and 5 min (without really looking)  2 YBC on =
the
8th, 2 on the 13th and 2 more on the 16th! these birds are being seen =
far
and wide enough to indicate a good # of birds (YBC) fell out in the =
area!

Also over the last day or two We've had a large fall-out/build-up of A
Robins in the area now #ing thousands!

Oct 4th -6th Lark Sparrow @ my feeders

Oct 9th - 12th N. Shrike around our place

Oct 16th 1 BB Cuckoo Canso Town (Lilly Bridge)

Oct 17th  I found a YB Chat @ the Dam (behind the soldiers Mem.),
Steph B. Reported a T. Vulture over town,

We have great descriptions of 3 Great Egrets in Larry's River from Oct
14th-17th (last report)

We Still have our Dickcissels 3 now since Oct 1st

Up until today nothing really exciting to report BUT it looks like =
things
are starting to build up and move a bit more now!

Tom K.
Canso

------=_NextPart_000_003F_01C6F432.5ED88C70

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi All</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It's been a while since I last posted =
and yes the=20
birds still frequent our<BR>little hot spot but we've been keeping =
secrets [not=20
really but I've been<BR>teased indicating that's what some thought ;-} =
]! Anyway=20
there seems to<BR>have been a small fall out of stuff in our neck of the =
woods=20
so to speak.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Today Oct 19th when returning home I =
found a W.=20
King Bird on the wire in<BR>front of the house being harassed by the N. =
Mocking=20
bird that's been in the<BR>area and around my place for the past 1 1/2 - =
2 weeks=20
now! I knew right<BR>away it wasn't a Eastern KB because of the yellow =
wash but=20
I gave chase wit<BR>Binos and camera to rule out other Species. While in =
pursuit=20
I realized that<BR>I had 2 WKB's (only 50' apart at one time) and still =
being=20
harassed by the<BR>NM Bird! I left the birds at the brow of the hill and =
~3 min=20
later when I<BR>stopped in the car at the spot I quickly located 1 bird =
atop a=20
spruce<BR>across the road again being harassed by the NM Bird. As soon =
as the=20
NMB<BR>stopped swooping at it the other WKB flew right in to take over=20
the<BR>harassment and it to departed over the brow of the hill in the=20
same<BR>direction as the NMB. As I started to move forward I was stunned =
to see=20
the<BR>the 2nd WKB fly in to continue the harassment of what I now know =
was a=20
3rd<BR>WKB (the one that was perched atop the spruce)! ~15 Min later I=20
searched<BR>the hill top but was unable the relocate the 4 birds (3 =
WKB's and 1=20
NMB)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I did find on the hill though 1 OC =
Warb., 1 (A) WE=20
Vireo, 1 C-C Sparr., and<BR>2 I. Buntings.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Steph B. Checked out a strange bird =
report and=20
found a YB Cuckoo.<BR>The first noted YB Cuckoos arrived on Oct 7th and =
have=20
been seen daily ever<BR>since It's hard to spend any amount of time =
along the=20
edges of the woods<BR>(especially in sun lit areas) without locating one =
or=20
more! I found 4 on the<BR>10th with in 2-300 yards and 5 min (without =
really=20
looking)&nbsp; 2 YBC on the<BR>8th, 2 on the 13th and 2 more on the =
16th! these=20
birds are being seen far<BR>and wide enough to indicate a good # of =
birds (YBC)=20
fell out in the area!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also over the last day or two We've had =
a large=20
fall-out/build-up of A<BR>Robins in the area now #ing =
thousands!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Oct 4th -6th Lark Sparrow @ my =
feeders</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Oct 9th - 12th N. Shrike around our=20
place</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Oct 16th 1 BB Cuckoo Canso Town (Lilly=20
Bridge)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Oct 17th&nbsp; I found a YB Chat @ the =
Dam (behind=20
the soldiers Mem.),<BR>Steph B. Reported a T. Vulture over =
town,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We have great descriptions of 3 Great =
Egrets in=20
Larry's River from Oct<BR>14th-17th (last report)</FO