[NatureNS] Hudsonian Godwits - Wolfville

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 11:19:57 -0300

Sat. Oct 7 / 06  - Very high tide (1.18 p.m.)

Shorebirds around Wolfville harbour mid-to-late afternoon:

Hudsonian Godwit :       1 - Starr's Point mudflats, 1 - Wolfville harbour

Black-bellied Plover:      5 - Starr's Point mudflats, 13 - roost on dyke
rocks opp. Wolfville sewage ponds.

Short-billed Dowitcher :  2 - Wolfville harbour

Lsr. Yellowlegs :           1 - Wolfville harbour

Semipalmated Plover :  23+  in a flock flying in from Minas Basin heading to
the mudflats.

In a further flock of ~ 40 shorebirds also roosting on dyke rocks opp.
Wolfville sewage ponds I was able to note 3 Dunlin, 3 White-rumped
Sandpiper, 8 Least Sandpiper, some Semipalmated Sandpipers and more
Semipalmated Plovers, before a Bald Eagle passed over and they all took
flight.

Mention of Yew berries reminded me that early Sat. afternoon, I found two
Hermit Thrushes eating the bright fruits of the Yew from our one and only
bush in the garden. A small flock of Yellow-rumped Warblers and Red-breasted
Nuthatches were also foraging on the edge of the woods before moving on.

Cheers,
Judy Tufts

   Judy  Tufts

     Wolfville