[NatureNS] more on THRESHER SHARK etc. on pelagic trip -- Brier Island-Sep. 16

Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 11:12:52 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: John Gilhen <GILHENJA@gov.ns.ca>,

Thanks, John! for all this below.  Cheers from Jim
----------
From: John Gilhen <GILHENJA@gov.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 13:15:52 -0300
To: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Subject: Re: THRESHER SHARK etc. on pelagic trip, etc. --
Brier Island-Sep. 15-17

Hi Jim;
Thanks for this.
 I guess one shouldn't be surprised to observe a Thresher Shark in the
Bay of Fundy area (see Scott and Scott 1988 Atlantic Fishes of Canada
page 13) and (Gilhen 1999 Fishes of Nova Scotia: Species Recorded in the
Accession Books of Harry Piers from 1899 to 1939 pages 9 and 87 with
figure 36, plate 39).

Andrew, Sara Bell and I recovered parts of one washed up on the Eastern
Shore. On 3 October 2003 we were advised by Richard Peckham, Bedford, that
an unusual creature washed up dead on Conrad Beach (west of Lawrencetown).
Here we found a  Thresher Shark, Alopias vulpinus.402.5 cm Total Length.

Cheers
John