[NatureNS] A different syrphid fly mimic

Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 22:41:53 -0300
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

style=3D"margin: 0.
Chris, Dave, Angus, Peter, Jean...others,
  Chris:  I'm glad it turned out to be correct even to the species, which was a
worry. Thanks for taking the time to check the collection -- in fact from me
and I'm sure many others on this list, many thanks for your general help in
answering such a varying range of questions so ably (when do you sleep?).
  Dave: I liked your McGonagall imitiation on Keys versus Colours (strike that,
oops, it was actually M.F.L!), but the better answer is 'none of the
above'. Instead, one should pack off one's insects to a Diptera
taxonomy unit and get
them professionally determined, by people who are experienced in reading these
darn' keys, which are not easy for us amateurs and often only go to genus not
species.  But these folks are few in number and getting fewer, their
professional reputations are behind the determinations so they need to be
careful, and they were very busy even the last time I did this in the mid-80s.
This was for ~8 specimens (flies) in connection with a project on evolution of
connections within the nervous system, and it took ~6 months to get the
successful determinations back.  We were grateful, but to illustrate a
contrast, journal editors these days increasing accompany an electronic
request
to review a manuscript (electronically) with another request, later a demand,
to get it back to them (electronically) with 2 weeks.  So browsing
Bugguide.net
may be sloppy but it can be a stop-gap at least if someone else has
photo'd it.
  E.O Wilson drew public attention to the seriousness of this identification
problem some years ago in connection with the dominant position and diversity
of ants in tropical ecosystems, most insects in which have not yet been
identified or even collected.  If I recall correctly, he said even then that
only two experienced taxonomists who could identify newly discovered Amazonian
ants were available, both of whom were within range of retirement, and that
no-one new was being trained. How to deal with ecosystem richness if
no-one can
even ID the specimens?  Suggestions have been made to switch to a different,
more manageable system in which each new specimen has part of it's DNA
sequenced, and data-banked: in future you might simply send in your ground-up
syrphid whose DNA gets extracted and sequenced and compared to the data
base. A
good bet would be that cost-recovery would be applied to cover the running of
the million dollar machines, though...
Thanks finally to several people who suggested different insecticides for
collections.  I never thought to look in C. Tire for Vapona, but now
will check
it out.
Steve