[NatureNS] monarch's

From: "Carl Haycock" <foggy@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 08:44:12 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_005E_01C6E3A3.7049D8A0

Wednesday and Thursday,(27/28 Sept.) Brier Island was loaded with =
Monarch's. I've never seen so many. They were, where ever you looked, =
always floating in through the corner of your eye.=20

I know birders from around the province will be headed down here for the =
weekend. (N.S. Bird Society) To give you a heads up, there are lots of =
migrants here. There are hundreds of Blue Jays about, lots of cedar =
waxwings, kinglets, a good mix of raptors/falcons. (There have been a =
few Cooper's Hawks and Perigrines, merlins, kestrels, harriers, =
sharpies. A couple kettles of broadwings.) Some shorebirds scattered =
around.(Willet's, godwits, plovers, sandpipers, l. yellowlegs, =
turnstones.) Y.B. Sapsuckers. Flickers. Warblers. A late hummer. Blue =
Herons. Osprey. Bald Eagle. Look for Catbirds, Kingbirds, flycatchers. A =
weather front is moving through later today with rain, however the =
weekend outlook is favorable (sun and cloud)with seasonal temp's. For =
those of you going on the pelagic trip on Saturday, they are forecasting =
fair weather with west winds at 15-20 knots and diminishing later in the =
day. Pretty good marine forecast for this time of year.  It might be =
chilly and choppy to start but should get better throughout the day. No =
fog. Good visibility. I'm still not sure If I can make the pelagic trip =
but have a good time. Look for dark skuas and jaegers harassing whiter =
gulls! It's the best way to pick them out. Also,look for an early pair =
of horned Grebe in the harbor at high tide. Also check out the gulls as =
you might see an imm. bonaparte's  or kittiwake offshore(beautiful =
markings) or ringed bill.  AND keep an eye out for a Caspian tern along =
the shoreline (even while crossing the harbor on the ferry). Best time =
of year to catch them here. Thanks all I can think of...

Carl Haycock
Westport, Brier Island
------=_NextPart_000_005E_01C6E3A3.7049D8A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wednesday and Thursday,(27/28 =
Sept.)&nbsp;Brier=20
Island was loaded with Monarch's. I've never seen so many. They were, =
where ever=20
you looked, always floating in through the&nbsp;corner of your eye.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I know birders from around the province =
will be=20
headed down here for the weekend. (N.S. Bird Society) To give you a =
heads up,=20
there are lots of migrants here.&nbsp;There are hundreds of Blue=20
Jays</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>about, lots of&nbsp;cedar =
waxwings,=20
kinglets,&nbsp;a good mix of raptors/falcons. (There have been a few =
Cooper's=20
Hawks and Perigrines, merlins, kestrels,&nbsp;harriers, sharpies.&nbsp;A =
couple=20
kettles of broadwings.) Some shorebirds scattered around.(Willet's, =
godwits,=20
plovers, sandpipers,&nbsp;l. yellowlegs, =
turnstones.)&nbsp;Y.B.&nbsp;Sapsuckers.=20
Flickers.&nbsp;Warblers. A late hummer.&nbsp;Blue Herons. Osprey. Bald =
Eagle.=20
Look for Catbirds, Kingbirds, flycatchers.&nbsp;A weather front is =
moving=20
through later today with rain,&nbsp;however the weekend outlook is =
favorable=20
(sun and cloud)with seasonal temp's. For those of you going on the =
pelagic trip=20
on Saturday, they are forecasting fair weather with west winds at 15-20 =
knots=20
and diminishing later in the day. Pretty good marine forecast for this =
time of=20
year. &nbsp;It might be chilly and choppy to start but should get better =

throughout the day. No fog. Good visibility. I'm still not sure If I can =
make=20
the pelagic trip but have a good time. Look for dark skuas and jaegers =
harassing=20
whiter gulls! It's the best way to pick them out. Also,look for an early =
pair of=20
horned Grebe in the harbor at high tide. Also check out the gulls as you =
might=20
see an imm. bonaparte's&nbsp; or kittiwake offshore(beautiful =
markings)&nbsp;or=20
ringed bill.&nbsp; AND keep an eye out for a Caspian tern along the =
shoreline=20
(even while crossing the&nbsp;harbor on the ferry).&nbsp;Best time of =
year to=20
catch them here. Thanks all I can think of...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Carl Haycock</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Westport, Brier=20
Island</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_005E_01C6E3A3.7049D8A0--