[NatureNS] FW: re Monarchs, lots

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:22:09 -0300
From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_oWJNcxZlG4Dj+5615dF5fQ)

Hi Angus, Jim and Peter,

I too am rather confused by this "current knowledge".  I was under the impression that the Monarchs that we are seeing now are the ones which over-winter in the forested mountains of Michoecan in Mexico.  Then, when they leave the forests in late February and March, they may only fly to Texas before stopping to lay eggs, etc and the next generation continues the northward migration.  The Monarchs we see here in the summer will be several generations removed from the ones which left Mexico in March.

Wendy and her fellow walkers, members of the Wacky Wednesday Woman Walkers group, saw an estimated 50 Monarchs this morning on their excursion to Herring Cove/Tribune Head.

Wendy and I visited the Monarch wintering area in the Michoecan mountains west of Mexico City in January 2004.  We visited five refuges in all, all above 2900 m.  Quite a spectacle to say the least.  We went with a British company called Nature Trek and met up with the group in Mexico City.  We also saw lots of interesting birds in the mountains as well.  Anyone wishing further information can contact me off line.

Cheers,

Bob McDonald
Halifax
bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca