[NatureNS] Red-necked Grebes

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:27:15 -0300

Yesterday morning I was checking out the Margaretville DU location which is
heavily overgrown when a couple of grebes appeared. At first I didn't think
much of it until I remembered that last week I had seen a pair of Horned
Grebes there and these were obviously not the same birds. These were much
larger, with sturdy long bills of yellow-orange with black tops. I was able
to watch them for about 15 minutes, including a nice session when they
exercised their wings, showing me their bellies and wing undersides. Neither
was in the full rufous breeding colours. This is the first time I remember
seeing them at this location and the earliest I have seen them in fall.
Usually I pick them up on the Bay of Fundy in winter. I wonder if they could
have bred locally?

Also at the same location were 4 Wood Ducks and 16 Black Ducks. Last weeks
Kestrels have moved on it seems. Both Song and Savannah Sparrows were quite
active.

At the Margaretville beach there was very little activity with only 3 DC
Cormorants, a Common Loon and 12 Common Eiders to break up the monotony.
Even the gulls seemed to be missing.

PORT GEORGE earlier, 9:45 to 10:25 had more activity but is not busy yet.
The tide was flooding in and the reef was half exposed when I arrived but
vanishing quickly. One end was completely covered in seals, literally
touching each other. I saw 27 in a tight grouping, 10 of which were Greys
and the others Harbours. There were also two very small grey seal pups
having a very hard time trying to crawl up onto the rocks, and several other
seals in the water.

Also on the rocks were 5 DC Cormorants and a single Great Cormorant. There
were 41 Common Eiders close to shore, far fewer than last week. There were 7
Red Throated Loons and a single WW Scoter and another very distinctive Surf
Scoter. The pair of Yellow Shafted Flickers are still frolicking about near
the beach, they must be finding something interesting down there.

John Belbin - Kingston