[NatureNS] Lesser Black-backed Gull and Hartlen Point report

From: "Luke DeCicco" <akswallow@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 11:03:00 -0800

Hello,
Went out birding at Hartlen Point this morning from about 8AM to 1PM.  Lots
of birds early on, a couple large flocks.  Birds of interest: Black-bellied
Plover (50+ on golfcourse or flying over), American Golden- Plover (10-20),
Warbling Vireo (2), Red-eyed and Blue-headed Vireos as well, Golden-crowned
and Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 13 species of warblers including, Northern
Waterthush, Orange-crowned Warbler and a Blackburnian Warbler, and finally a
single Rose-breasted Grosbeak.  On my way home I stoped at the Winsor Sewage
Ponds, lots of birds present, Ring-billed Gulls, Herring Gulls, Great
Black-backed Gulls, Canada Geese, Green-winged Teal, Mallards, Black Duck,
about 50 Black-bellied Plovers, 1 American Golden-plover and a single
Dunlin.  On the newly plowed corn fields on the way to grand pre saw a total
of 4 Lesser Black-backed Gulls (3 adults and 1 juvenile).  That's all for
today.
Bird on!
Luke DeCicco
Acadia University