[NatureNS] more on buckthorn

Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:58:11 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

Dave, your description of the aggressiveness of how aggressive Rhamnus
frangula is near Kentville also fits the Wolfville area very well indeed.
Just ask George Alliston about his least-favourite plant, whereever he is
trying to re-establish more natural plant communities.

Probably the prime example of buckthorn aggression can be found north of
Skyway Drive along the Acadia Woodland Trails (south of the Irving Centre).

We also have a fair amount of Rhamnus cathartica in Wolfville, but it seems
to be much less aggressive.  I am unfamiliar with R. alnifolia.

I don't know anything about edibility or other uses of the berries, which
are incredibly abundant in R. frangula, but I wonder how important the
fruits have become for wildlife?

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville