[NatureNS] Peepers, hummers and thanks

From: uhoeger@dal.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:44:12 -0300

Hi,

Hummingbird migration, at least for Rubys in our part of the world,
is driven primarily by light. If our days get to short they move on,
no matter how many feeders or other food sources are locally
available.  They need food supply and a certain temperature range,
but may become seasonal limitations at one point, but foremost they
need daylight hours to feed. Their high metabolism doesn't allow them
to be without food for long, so if the nights get to long they would
run into problems. They could literally starve overnight.

Hope that answers your question

Ulli